Friday, October 31, 2008

What the Hell is wrong with MTV?

I started this blog with the intentions of sharing my artistic endeavours with the World. At the moment, I am definitely hard at work dancing & painting, with music on the close horizon, but I am not quite ready to share anything of real worth for the time being.
So instead, I'll open with a simple rant:

I'm quite prone to staying up into the wee hours of the morn, and yesterday morning, before finally falling asleep, I was doing a bit of the classic channel surfing. It being probably around 5:00am, the only things that were on were infomercials, "Transformers," and MTV's late night/early morning showing of music videos...or lack thereof.

I think I noticed it when Beyonce's newest single was playing, when suddenly it switched to a different video before her song was even finished. Then another minute goes by & it switches again...then again. Confused & a bit annoyed, I sat through a few crappy videos to make sure I wasn't just sleep deprived & that yes, MTV is cutting short video after video.

So first, I hear they're retiring "TRL," which we all know stopped playing full versions of music videos years ago, and now this...not even to those suffering from insomnia can enjoy a full 3-5 minutes of a music video. It's total bullshit in my books. It felt like someone kept changing the channel on me after I'd get sucked into 10 minutes of a television show. The only difference here is that I can't yell at the person next to me for doing it.

If I were a recording artist, I'd be even more pissed that all of my time, effort & money is being wasted because MTV doesn't play the full version of my freaking music video! I grew up in the MTV generation & I love music videos. You get to see the vision behind the music & lyrics your favourite artists created, or get to see some great dance moves, or just get to watch something that's so incredibly stupid, it's awesome.

Imagine a World without seeing the Beastie Boys running around in aviators & mustaches in the "Sabatoge" video. Or Blink 182 running naked in the "What's My Age Again" video. Nine Inch Nails' "Closer" video. Madonna's controversial video for "Like a Prayer." Jamiroquai's ''Virtual Insanity'' video. And any Michael Jackson video for that matter.

I just don't get it. So seriously MTV...what the Hell?

KL.

No comments: